There’s lots of ollies that could have been in the Top 5, but that’s not this. This is a pretty funny and yet very informative ollie tutorial here for skaters of all levels. Our hats are off to Skateboard Bruh for making this fine tutorial happen.
If you’re a beginner, check out the difference between the beginner ollie and the boned ollie and it might help you take it one step at a time. If you’re advanced, check out THE POSER OLLIE, this is one of the funniest explanations I’ve ever seen in a tutorial! I didn’t know what is up with this guys accent or where he’s from but if you subscribe to his channel you’ll probably figure it out! He’s got a lot of good tutorials, and it’s cool how he shoots this from a first-person point of view so you can see how it’s supposed to look when you look down at your feet to hit your ollie in practice!
Are you looking to give the perfect gift to a longboarder or skater who would LOVE a custom board, but it’s too late to get it shipped in time? Well, we have the PERFECT solutions for you, with TWO different ways you can give a custom board as a gift!
Last Minute Gift #1 – Put the Board Image in a Card
When you create a custom board design on our site, it creates a preview image of the deck that you can print out. Simply print out the page or the image itself, fold it up and slide the page with the board photo into a card. This will be the best card someone special has ever opened when they see it’s not the typical card – it has a sweet custom skateboard or longboard inside! This is sure to put a happy surprise smile on someone’s face this Christmas, even if you do it the night before ;) Boards start at $59.99.
Last Minute Gift #2 – Gift Card
Our gift cards are always a great way to give someone the gift of customization while still allowing them to make their own design. Purchase a gift card right here from our site in the Shop section. We’ll email you a graphic of a gift card with the code on it that you can print out and stick into a holiday card and give someone the chance to design their own board! They will be stoked when they realize they get to design something themselves and have it shipped right to their door. Please allow 24-48 hours for the gift card to be emailed to you. Gift Cards start at $25.00.
Great Detailed ReviewsReviewLongboards has a ton of great reviews with a lot of good details on everything longboarding. From top brands to hardware including longboard wheels and longboard bearings, they’ve covered it all!
Whatever Skateboards ReviewCheck out our review on ReviewLongboards.com in their article titled Custom Longboards: An Overview of the Process.
Pokemon GO and Skateboarding Are Perfect, Here’s Our Pokemon GO Guide for Those Who Skateboard!
By now you’ve heard of Pokemon GO the amazing new Pokemon game and the first Pokemon app for iOS and Android. You move around the real world and the augmented reality part of the Pokemon app shows you wild Pokemon nearby, Poke Stops which give you items, and Pokemon Gyms which you can challenge based on your team. Pokemon GO is the most popular app and most popular game right now, and that’s perfect for skateboarders: we get around the real world better than anyone else. Becoming a skateboarding Pokemon trainer is easy, here’s our Pokemon GO guide to going from Pokemon GO Beginner to becoming the ultimate Pokemon GO Pokemon Master using nothing but your skateboard and our guide.
DISCLAIMER: BE CAREFUL WHEN COMBINING POKEMON GO AND SKATEBOARDING. ALWAYS WATCH THE ROAD.
Master the Basics of Pokemon GO
To max out your potential you need to know how Pokemon GO works. Download the app, get your account set up, and catch your starter Pokemon. Once you’ve familiarized yourself with the way the map works, locating Pokestops, and locating gyms, you’ll be ready to use our Pokemon GO guide. Poke Stops are blue with a cube until you get close, then you open them up and swipe the circle image / coin. You will get items from Pokestops. Gyms are larger, typically a color from a team with a Pokemon on top. You need to become level 5 before you can fight and conquer a Pokemon Gym. Now that you’ve downloaded Pokemon GO and you know how to use it let’s get in to the details.
Get Informed – Know Your Pokemon GO
- Grass Shaking/Leaves – Seen on the map, a Pokemon may be at the grass or may *not* be at the grass. Wild Pokemon are simply more likely to be in the shaking grass area. The leaf / shaking grasses are found everywhere but are most common near parks or open areas. Try to find a park you can skate through to snag a bunch super quick.
- Pokemon Tab / Gray Pokemon Outlines – Seen on the map this lets you know which Pokemon are nearby.
- Footprints Below Pokemon – Seen in the menu in the map this lets you know how close a Pokemon is to you. The fewer footprints there are closer the Pokemon is. Rumor has it that 1 foot = 50m, 2 feet = 100m, 3 feet = +150m
- CP – This is the Combat Power of a Pokemon. The higher the better for use in battle. The higher your level the higher the CP of the Pokemon you catch.
- Stardust – Used to level up your Pokemon this stuff is gained from capturing Pokemon. You can earn it as part of you bonus for owning a Gym.
- Candy – Used to level up your Pokemon. Get candy from capturing Pokemon. You can get Candy from doing a Transfer, but you get 1 Candy for each Pokemon transferred.
- Eggs – You have an Incubator in your Items. Click to your Pokemon then swipe right to get to the Eggs tab. Choose an egg and start incubating. The egg will hatch when you’ve gone the distance on the egg. Your incubator is infinite but Incubators you buy with Coins have limited uses.
- Incubator – Used to hatch Pokemon Eggs. The Incubator only counts your steps if you are skateboarding or walking. It seems like driving does not work. App must be open.
- Coins – Buy them with real money or earn them each day by having a Pokemon defending a gym. Open up the Shop section and top right is a button. Make sure you have at least 1 Pokemon defending a gym to earn Coins daily.
- Alerts – The app has to be open for you to get alerts about Pokemon.
- PokeStop Refresh Time – 5 minute refresh.
PROTIPS: Pokemon GO and Skateboarding
- Watch The Road – There have already been reports on Reddit of people crashing on their skateboards and hurting themselves as well as *gasp* shattering their phones! You can hold your phone in your hand or pocket and get vibrations and sound updates. You’ll most likely be taking lines and alleys you haven’t taken before so stay sharp.
- Always Equip An Egg – If you’re skating around never forget your eggs. Unlike most people your eggs will be hatching 2x as fast because you’re skating. Eggs and skateboards are one of the best cheats for Pokemon GO.
- Drop Your Pokemon At the Gym – Before getting your daily bonus to get your Coins be sure to drop some Pokemon off to defend the local gyms. With your skateboard under your feet you’ll be able to roll from gym to gym quick.
- The Grass Is Always Greener – Grassy areas and parks are the prime locations to pick up new Pokemon. Poke Stops are usually at nearby landmarks and Pokemon Gyms are at major landmarks. Skaters have the advantage as often Poke Stops will be along pathways and parks cars are not allowed on and other trainers will have to walk.
- Get Electric – You need battery power. Between filming skate clips, watching skate clips, and playing Pokemon GO your skateboarding session is going to wreck your phone battery. Make sure you’re fully charged and keep your charger on you.
- Capture Everything – To get Candy and Stardust you need to capture Pokemon and you’re going to get a lot of Zubats and Ekans as you’re rolling around. Capture everything you can while on your skateboard so you’re always finding new Pokemon as you’re skateboarding.
- Pump Yourself Up – Some phones will allow you to play music over Pokemon GO. Turn off the music in the Pokemon GO settings and blast your usual skating playlist to keep yourself pumping the kilometers.
- Pokemon Move With Your – If you get to catch a rare Pokemon but its floating out in the street don’t stress, it doesn’t actually move away as you move away. You can powerslide to a stop and hit the sidewalk so you have the time to make a Great Pokeball throw.
- Roll Deep – Get to your friends in your crew before anyone else does to make sure you’re all on the same team. Once you pick a team color in Pokemon GO you cannot change your team color. After you’re all on the same team it will be easier to take down gyms as a squad. Roll deep to smash your opponents and get tons of prestige for your gym so its invulnerable.
Skateboarding Tricks While Capturing a Pokemon
So far we’ve done is a little curb slapper while catching a Charmander but one of the finest parts of skateboarding and playing Pokemon GO is getting a rolling capture or making a trick. Trying to hit a Pokemon with a Pokeball while skateboarding and busting a trick is no small feat! We’ve also been getting screen captures with the AR turned to get Pokemon in the shot.
Ash Ketchum may ride a bicycle but Pokemon GO is a skateboarding game for sure. We were busting tricks at every gym location earlier today and were considering a system whereby you had to do a trick based on which Pokemon you caught. Either way Pokemon GO is getting dominated by skaters rolling from gym to gym claiming the rarest and best Pokemon Gyms for themselves. Now that you know the Pokemon GO basics and you’ve got the Pokemon GO PROTIPS, its time to hit the streets.
No Look Pokemon Capturing – Pokemon GO Plus
Pokemon GO Plus is the wristband attachment made by Nintendo made for capturing Pokemon without needing to hold your phone. Skating around staring at a screen can be exhausting after a while so Pokemon GO Plus is a Bluetooth wearable Pokemon GO wristband that notifies you when a Pokemon is near without needing to have the Pokemon GO app open. Perfect for those who roll the distance in areas where there aren’t really a lot of Pokemon the Pokemon Plus wristband isn’t available yet but will be released this year by Nintendo. The Pokemon GO Plus wearable is already up on Amazon.com so we can see what it looks like, and Nintendo *is* taking preorders but no one has had a real chance to do a Pokemon GO Plus review yet. When we do get one we’ll do a Pokemon GO Plus review for sure.
Pokemon GO Plus Preorders / Pokemon GO Plus In Stock
The Pokemon GO Plus release date says December 2016, but that is only when it is sold out. With the popularity of Pokemon fever hitting peak right now Nintendo has been taking Pokemon GO Plus preorders and the Amazon.com offering says its Currently Unavailable when the Pokemon GO Plus is not in stock. If you want to see if Pokemon GO Plus preorders are working or if Pokemon GO Plus is in in stock click here.
We’ve seen mad people rolling around in Pokemon clothes, from Pokemon Tshirts to Pokemon Hats. There’s some rad Pokemon gear floating around, (outside of Ash Ketchum snapbacks), to help other Pokemon Trainers recognize you at a spot. Not everyone on their phone is out training their Pokemon so its nice to know who’s playing the game and who’s not before you start creeping on people. We’re in to the Pokeball Tshirts, Pattern Pokemon Tshirts, and some of the Pokemon Backpacks out there. Here’s some of what’s floating around out there:
Send Us Your Illest Pokemon Trick Shots!
Got some killer content for us? Follow us on Instagram @whateverskateboards and shoot us a DM with your best Pokemon skateboarding pics. If your pics are sick we’ll give you a shoutout! Follow our Instagram for giveaway and dank skateboarding memes!
Whatever Skateboards Welcomes Jason Gallo, aka @babytooks, to the Whatever Team
Its time to reveal the latest addition to the Whatever Team: Jason Gallo! Welcome to the team! For those who haven’t seen his clips @babytooks (click and follow him!) you need to get on the Internet more because Jason has been live firing some of the most viral clips to hit the scene recently. Know for his hair raising drops, effortless park style, and comparison to the mighty Aaron Jaws Homoki We’re stoked to have snagged him and brought him on to Whatever.
The Clip Seen Round the World
You’ve caught his clips on Instagram (follow at @babytooks) getting reposted by some of the biggest accounts in the game, including our very own Whatever Skateboards Instagram, but here’s the mega viral clip that earned him his comparison to the legendary Jaws. If you haven’t seen this skate clip yet here’s your warning: this is INTENSE.
Not Enough For You? HERE’S MORE
Jason has been dropping in and dropping clips left and right recently, here’s his latest enormous dump truck that will make you question everything.
A Natural Rider and Smooth Steez
It’s not all massive drops and stomps for Jason Gallo, here’s a quickie park clip showing off how easy he makes it look. With effortless flow in the bowls and an undeniably smooth riding style you can see why we’re stoked to have @babytooks on the team.
Want More, More, More?
Of course you do. Be sure to follow his account on IG @babytooks to keep up to date and definitely follow us @whateverskateboards for the best skate clips, skateboarding memes, and of course our contests and giveaways.
Ray’s Pool A San Diego Legend
Ray’s pool has been a hot spot for local San Diego skaters for the past 15 years. While skaters shred, spectators can watch from the sides of the pool or from the top of the roof that over looks the pool. Ray’s house and pool is a pretty sweet spot that is at a high vantage point of San Diego. Back in the day, before there were skate spots, this was where locals would gather to skate. Ray is putting the home on the market, marking an ending to a San Diego skating era. To celebrate the past decade and a half, Ray hosted a birthday party for local skate legend Old Man Andy. It has been the last big skate gathering at the pool since the beginning.
A Bit About Ray
Ray was born and raised in San Diego. He is a bit of a local legend himself. Along with skating, Ray is into surfing and fishing. Currently, he is working on a new big project. He is the owner of the Pacific Beach restaurant Izakaya PB. This is a great spot for good eats and the freshest sushi in town. You can often find Old Man Andy and other local skaters having lunch and dinner at this spot near the beach. Not only can Ray shred the surf, he can also craft a really mean roll and cook up some soulful ramen. He keeps true to his Japanese roots through his craft of food.
Custom Skateboard Pool Theme
We put together a collection of custom skateboard designs to share with you. These custom skateboards are inspired by Ray and his pool. As you can see by the theme, the fusion of California and Japanese culture has fuzed together for these designs. You can find this collection of custom skateboard designs along with others at WhateverSkateboards.com’s browse section.
Top Skateboarding Apps We Are Stoked About
From online games to live feed, these free top skateboarding apps are here for all your skating needs. All of these apps are compatible with the iPhone, and some are also compatible with the Android. I combed through a bunch of skate apps to put together a collection of the top 7 most useful apps that can help you up your skate game. They are also all for free!
This app is useful if you are looking for new places to shred. Locations will be marked on a map near your local area. You can also rate the run up and the run down on each spot. There is also another rating for the best time of the day to skate each spot. The only catch is that not all skaters will want to let everyone in on their secret. Those are still only available by word of mouth.
Skull Candy has created an app for skaters and snowboarders. This is one of the best skateboarding apps that has the information for each location such as conditions, weather, and ratings, qualifying it on the list of top skateboarding apps. You can also listen to streaming music. This app is like a skate google map and a radio combined into one!
The School of Skate
If you are looking for a way to up your skills, this is the app for you. Learn tips from pros on how to do tricks. The motto of this site is “Helping the world progress one trick at a time.” We chose this one as one of the top skateboarding apps since we support their motto, and agree with what they are trying to do for the skate community.
The big name Nike has created their own skate app and we are not disappointed. This app helps you connect with skaters from around the world. Upload videos of tricks to share with everyone. Pros also post up challenges for people to respond to. If your trick is sick, you have a big chance to be featured on their app! This is a great way to put yourself out there and to be noticed.
Connect with other skaters through Boarder Lounge to talk about all things related to skating. You can also post videos through this app. This app is like a live skate forum for your phone.
This app is more about entertainment. You can watch the latest and top rated skate videos through this app. Catch up on the latest tricks and contest updates through videos posted by the skate pros.
Our list would not be complete without a skate game. Touch grind makes it on the list of top skateboarding apps since this is the best app skate game out there. This game lets you customize your board, which we are all about. You use your two fingers to skate through the virtual skate park. It is like a virtual tech deck!
We are stoked about these 7 top free skateboarding apps out there that provide an outlet for creativity, community and fun. Hope you all enjoy these apps!
You can also design your own personalized skateboard at Whateverkateboards.com
Pick The Ultimate Skateboard Quote
Skateboarding is a lifestyle. It has transcended the concrete bowls into its own culture with fashion, entertainment, and super stars. A lot of inspiration as risen out of the world of skateboarding, and we can learn some things from the big skate stars that have helped skateboarding evolve over the years. Here are some inspirational skateboard quotes to feed your need to skate, and to help you get started on creating a custom skateboard with your own skateboarding quotes!
Classic Skateboard Quotes
Here is a collection of some memorable skateboarding quotes from some skaters.“Life is a lot like skateboarding.” – lil Wayne “I consider skateboarding an art form, a lifestyle and a sport. ‘Action sport’ would be the least offensive categorization.” – Tony Hawk “Skateboarding teaches you how to take a fall properly. If you try to kickflip down some stairs, it might take you thirty tries – and you just learn how to take a tumble out of it without getting hurt.” – Bam Margera “My whole life has been the skate life. I don’t really remember doing anything besides skateboarding.” – Ryan Sheckler “When I was a kid, everywhere I went people said I should be a model, but I was more into skateboarding.” – Daria Werbowy
Custom Skateboard Quote Designing Tips
So when designing your custom skateboard, there are a few things to keep in mind. When you design the board, always keep in mind the trucks on the bottom side of the board. The trucks will be a part of the design once it is installed, unless this is a board that will hang on your wall. So… if you are putting a skateboarding quotes on the board, make sure it is on either sides of the trucks or in-between the four indicated dots on the template. Or else, you may get a board that looks funked up.
Some Short Skateboard Quotes
You could always put a long skateboard quote on the board, but sometimes a shorter one will do. Shorter skateboard quotes are easier to incorporate in to the design when creating a custom skateboard. With less words, you can play with the text size and placement of the text. This makes it easier to add style to your design and helps with creating a bold impact. Here are some short skateboarding quotes that are good for this type of custom skateboard design. “Skate or Die”, “Keep on Rolling”, “Go Skate Day”.
WhateverSkateboards.com has all the best features to design your own custom skateboards. Not only can you design the bottom of the board, you can also design the grip tape on top! Along with customizing the print, you can choose from various wheel and truck colors too. We are also always adding little features in our product section that can be big game changers, such as specialized block risers and shred lights.
From the Window to the Wall
A lot of our customers who design custom skateboards design them with the intent to create custom wall art. You can hang these pieces in your home, workplace, or add them to a tattoo parlor gallery. With the high quality of the prints, they make for great art pieces. We offer a professional design service that can help you create the right look, using your business’s logo. These are great for office party give away gifts, or as decor to add color to work space. We also have art students who go this route to design their projects as custom skateboards.